Thursday, January 26, 2006

Trouble Is.

Well, I just did some math on this editing thing. And I think I might be in trouble.

In two days (only a couple hours each day), I cut 45 words in 5 pages. Roughly 5.5 words a page. To me, I’m thinking, Not bad. You should know that the page margins I’m using are HUGE, so when it's printed it looks like it would if... well, never mind what it looks like.


Anyway I’m feeling like this whole diet-to-10k thing is attainable. 5.5 words a page, I can do this! So taking the per-page-figure, I multiply it by the number of pages, 27, all the while thinking about how cool it’s going to be winning 5 dimes, and say I was published in the Chicago Tribune.

148.5

Excuse me? What? Something’s wrong. That’s it? Maybe I multiplied incorrectly, or accidentally hit the decimal point button. I need to shed 1,650 words. So I punched in the numbers again, this time slower, and... the same number came up.

Fine. I decided to figure it backwards, and divided 1650 by 27. This will tell me exactly what I’m looking at. Boy did it.

61 words per page.

Oh, this is trouble. I’m not looking at strengthening sentences with fewer words here. Oh no, we’re talking about mass-exodus of entire scenes! Very Un-Cool.

So... I was thinking, maybe this Award thing in the Chicago Tribune and Five Grand isn’t really my “bag.” You know? Maybe by doing this, I’m selling out. Yeah, that’s it. I’m selling out as an artist if I change that much.

And all for what? A measly five grand, and getting published in the Chicago Tribune? Puh-leeze! Who's Nelson Whatshisname anyway?


On an unrelated note: I’m, like, busy for the next two months, uh... doin’ stuff. Yeah. Doin’ stuff.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home