Thursday, December 08, 2005

Amp Polygamy?


After I wrote the last post... I discovered Orange makes another head type... one performing what my Marshall couldn’t. The “AD30 model”.

The Ad30 has gain and EQ knobs for both channels (which is why I settled with the Mesa—it could mimic the Orange sound and give me gain on a clean channel). The Orange “Rocker30” version I played didn’t, it was just a “One Channel to Rule Them All” deal. On or Off. If I was playing one style and wanted another, I’d have to adjust knobs. The Rocker’s “Clean” channel was exactly that: one volume knob, no EQ band, no gain, nothing... just you, your guitar, and all the rejection you can take.

On the bright side... you’re certain to discover exactly how your guitar sounds. Unless of course you have an arsenal of foot pedals, which I don’t, just a hardshell pedal case with a wah, volume, tuner, and a few simple trick stomps (1974 Ibanez Chorus, Marshall BB2 boost, and an MXR Phaser).

Yet, since Orange looks so much more fun, I had to test the AD30... besides, indecision comes so naturally to me. I want both.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home