Thursday, December 15, 2005

What's wrong with it?

So I have to ask... what’s wrong with it? What’s wrong with that story? Bad writing? Bad story-telling? Too cliché? Doesn’t measure up? Lame? Something inflammatory? What? It doesn’t make sense that it’s, “Just not what we’re looking for right now.” That’s just a line—just something to say, reserved for when you’re breaking up and you don’t have a real reason for it.

Me, of all people, I can take criticism. In fact, I like to think I take it well, as far as that goes. I’m over-confident. Tell it to me straight. Several really did that while I wrote the piece and it showed in the story itself, I thought. The same people have told me to move on and focus on another project. I appreciate that kind of transparency, because I see the logic behind the comments. It takes guts to brave telling people what you think. For better or worse, I do that every day. That’s why I appear so certain sometimes. Because I have to believe in myself in order to offset the relentless “failure” siren deafening my sub consciousness.

Am I disappointed about the latest rejection? Yep. Does it make me think I’m not a writer? Yep. The real question is whether or not to move on. I worked a full year on that 12K word story. Here’s crux of it... before I feel I can move on, I want validation. (Don’t we all?) I want validation that my efforts will be worth it, and not just end up something I can hand my grandmother.

Yes, several people have told me they liked the story and thought it was strong. And that meant a lot to me, it gave me the inspiration that I could write a story. But that’s a step on its own, encouragement to push you forward. Catching an editor’s eye from the publishing world, that’s another step. They’re different. There’s encouragement and confirmation.

Don’t hear me saying I think what people have told me is worthless. Not true. It’s been monumental to getting me where I am. But the next step in this reality is being published. That’s where it all comes together. First the support, then the affirmation. There’s that unmistakable relief then—that feeling of: “Wow, I did it.” The excitement at realizing you have something someone wants to say, “Hey, check this out.”

Evidently the rejections don’t get easier. That negative cycle has already begun too. Write, rejected, revise, rejected, try again, rejected, give it your all, rejected, disappointed, rejected, disheartened, rejected, why bother, rejected, failure, rejected. Oh, here’s one... give up, rejected. Might as well settle for doing something else.

I’m not a person to waste a lot of time on worthless efforts. It’s been over a year I’ve tried to published this. I’ll press that big red button and get shocked if it’s something I desire, but not very long. Resentment will settle in and I’ll get bitter about the entire thing, if it hasn’t already. It all seems to amount to a self-proclaimed hobby. That’s it.

Yeah, I’m down. And ranting... But that's why this is here. All the daydreaming... sheesh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home